Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Learning From the Past


Many styles skip a generation. Things that were in style for my grandma are once again considered stylish. Because my mom already saw them as old fashioned when she was my age, to her they look outdated and unappealing. I see them as fresh and different. In the past few years I have noticed some items receiving a warm a welcome back to the fashion world.

Dresses and Skirts: This was the standard for my grandmother when she was a young lady. The 1960s and 1970s saw the breakthrough of pants for women. This allowed women a lot of freedom, and they could wear pants almost anywhere. I believe this is why my mother and many women from her generation still prefer to wear pants if they are able to. However, young women from my generation have always enjoyed the freedom of choice between pants and skirts or dresses. Lately many of these women have chosen to go the ultra feminine route, and wear a dress or skirt. Personally I love it! Dresses are especially easy because there is just one thing to put on. I also think they are more flattering for most women.

Fur: Please do not turn your nose up at this elegant style! My grandmother scrimped and saved to by her very own, hand made for her, mink coat. It cost something like $200 in the early 1940s, in Indianapolis. It has her initials sewn inside and there is no way I will ever get rid of it! My mother does not really care for fur and thinks it looks a bit too fancy, but I love it. My fur coat is not real, but PETA has put stickers on it before. I thought THEY would know the difference if anyone did. Bottom line- Something about a fur coat just makes you feel beautiful.

Gloves and Hats: These little accessories are often passed over. They are often worn in fabrics that are cheap, and thin. Another problem is that no matter the occasion, they often make the wearer look ready for a snowball fight rather than a sleigh ride. Lets class it up a little bit this season. Many nice looking materials cost just as much as the casual ones.

I am sure there are many more, but I will stop here. Don't be afraid to steal grandma's style ideas. Stay warm and chic!

No comments:

Post a Comment